Monday, January 18, 2010

Parents in New Zealand

I mentioned the other day that my parents are in New Zealand. I asked if they had been able to see the Southern Cross. I heard from them today, & here is their response:


    Hi, having a great time, the only night was clear for stars was Friday night and we did not know where the southern cross is ( I assume in trhe south but wwe are a little disoriented what with driving on the wrong side of the road sitting on the wrong side of the car-- it is even worse in the passenger seat. see ya later mom and dad


I hope they've had a good time, in spite of the difficulty of being on the wrong side of the road.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, i stumbled across your site whilst googling astronomy in New Zealand. I am from NZ a little place called Levin and your parents are telling the truth about the weather, its not been the best summer season for stargazing. I thought i would give a little hint to your folks about our Southern Cross if i may.
    After watching sunset turn 90 degrees to your left, this is South. Actually early evening the Southern cross is a little further to the west and it is upside down. Look for the 'pointers' the two bright ones pointing to the top of the cross. But dont get fooled by the false cross that is close by.
    For something more familiar, turn around and look almost overhead to see Orion the acrobat. Yes he is upside down but if you lie on your back you may feel at home.
    I hope your parents have a great experience here, despite the weather.
    ps. If you want any advice on portable planetariums i may be able to help point you in the right direction, i operate one here in NZ. Check out my website www.nightvisionz.co.nz
    I wish you all the best, your vision sounds very exciting
    Ron Fisher

    ReplyDelete